Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Evolution of Video and the Next Great Thing.

The evolution of video has been amazing.
I remember when watching video began with HBO,



then moved to VHS / Beta with neighborhood video stores which morphed into 

Blockbuster, Family Video, etc.


 From VHS we stepped into DVD, and eventually to Blue Ray.  Now we have taken the leap to "on-demand" services from cable providers such as Charter and the greatest thing since sliced bread......NETFLIX.

I was a Blockbuster member when stores in my area began closing. Getting movies I wanted became more and more difficult. Then a clerk pitched the idea of the one disc at a time process. We selected films we wanted, they shipped one, we watched then returned it, and so on.  This was pretty good until we discovered we could bypass the discs and watch the same films online via our Wii and our wireless home network.  It was as if the heavens opened and the angles sang. LOL

Seriously, this has been a wonderful experience, far surpassing that of Blockbuster.  Being able to watch via a computer, or on the TV....on demand, for one set price has provided us with a wide range of categories.  When I say wide I mean W-I-D-E.

As I understand it, the format may vary based on the interface (Wii, DVD wireless connection, etc) but they seem very simliar.  Standard categories, such as Dramas, Comedies, Thrillers, along with categories driven by your viewing history.  As an example, watch a movie about gangsters, and get a "channel" comprised of films about gangsters.  Watch a documentary about Wall Street, and bingo!  see a collection of documentaries similar to the first one.

If this sounds like a pitch for NETFLIX, I apologize.  Our purpose in this space is to look at a range of media and this vehicle is superb in delivering that content.  I'm sure there are stories equally unhappy and I am happy with NETFLIX and naturally you should explore all avenues prior to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment